Plus I type with a Chicago accent according to my wife, don't know what that exact means or if it is an insult or not......I'll roll with it.
Why do I want to blog about cycling? For a few reasons.
- It is healthy. I dropped over 50 lbs and kept it off because of cycling.
- It is good for the environment. Now before you label me a tree hugger I still own a car, I work in the automotive racing industry, and I will eventually own another race car.
- It is a good financial path. My wife and I chose to sell one of our cars that needed work. Why? Because we live less than 5 miles from where I work, the car needed more work than was worth it (over a grand for a 14 year old car with 200k+ on it), and we don't NEED 2 cars.
- It is a great stress reliever. My family and friends notice I am much more relaxed, I don't complain about parking, and the city of Chicago meter parking doesn't apply to me. Plus what traffic?
- Did I mention no traffic?
- I feel I bring a unique view to cycling in Chicago. I cycle for commuting purposes but also enjoy a fast ride clad in lycra with other cyclists. I have lived in the city since my birth, and have the viewpoint of being a cyclist AND a motorist (cager).
- I bring a view on being a bigger guy (6' and 220 as we type this) and know what it is like to ride with groups of the skinny-minny racers in tight clothing while I am not equipped like they are.
- And other reasons I am forgetting......
I plan on reviewing products, services, shops, paths, and anything else that can bring a Chicago specific and centric view to cycling. I hope to allow for ideas to flourish in anyone who reads this blog, as well as allow for other riders to know what Chicago for some is all about. I don't pretend to speak for everyone, nor will I speak for anyone other than myself (duh!), but I am sure many will be able to relate.