Tuesday, July 1, 2014

What's this all about? Why another blog by a cyclist?

I am sure if you are reading this you have read other blogs, some probably a lot better looking or formatted than this one.  Maybe by people who have been blogging for years or are journalists for a living.  I will tell you I have been blogging for a couple of years, since my first born can into the world in 2012, and I am far from a journalist.  If you don't believe me just wait until you see the spelling, grammar, and other errors that will pop up that I will miss.

Plus I type with a Chicago accent according to my wife, don't know what that exact means or if it is an insult or not......I'll roll with it.

Why do I want to blog about cycling?  For a few reasons.


  1. It is healthy.  I dropped over 50 lbs and kept it off because of cycling.
  2. It is good for the environment.  Now before you label me a tree hugger I still own a car, I work in the automotive racing industry, and I will eventually own another race car.
  3. It is a good financial path.  My wife and I chose to sell one of our cars that needed work.  Why?  Because we live less than 5 miles from where I work, the car needed more work than was worth it (over a grand for a 14 year old car with 200k+ on it), and we don't NEED 2 cars.
  4. It is a great stress reliever.  My family and friends notice I am much more relaxed, I don't complain about parking, and the city of Chicago meter parking doesn't apply to me.  Plus what traffic?
  5. Did I mention no traffic?
  6. I feel I bring a unique view to cycling in Chicago.  I cycle for commuting purposes but also enjoy a fast ride clad in lycra with other cyclists.  I have lived in the city since my birth, and have the viewpoint of being a cyclist AND a motorist (cager).
  7. I bring a view on being a bigger guy (6' and 220 as we type this) and know what it is like to ride with groups of the skinny-minny racers in tight clothing while I am not equipped like they are.
  8. And other reasons I am forgetting......


I plan on reviewing products, services, shops, paths, and anything else that can bring a Chicago specific and centric view to cycling.  I hope to allow for ideas to flourish in anyone who reads this blog, as well as allow for other riders to know what Chicago for some is all about.  I don't pretend to speak for everyone, nor will I speak for anyone other than myself (duh!), but I am sure many will be able to relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment